About Dresses for Orphans
Dresses for Orphans began in October 2008, and grew out of more than 40 years in ministry. Dan and Darlene Carpenter have served the Lord through their work with organizations like the Billy Graham Association, Walk Thru the Bible and International Prison Ministry. Their personal focus on marriage and the family was evident in the MarriagePlan Seminars they presented together. Darlene also taught Creative Parenting Workshops in churches across the country and wrote the book "Spiritual Nurturing - How to Help Your Child Grow Spiritually." The Carpenters published this book and sold over 50,000 copies to churches.
The Carpenters moved to Phoenix, Arizona with the intention of beginning the process of retiring. However, they have found that retiring from 'paid employment' and retiring from ministry are two different things!
Darlene has long had a burden to do things to benefit children. She is also an excellent seamstress and so Dresses for Orphans became a natural way to combine her two passions.
Dan and Darlene (aka Gramma C.) have three grown children and nine grandchildren (seven girls and two boys).
The purpose of Dresses for Orphans is four-fold
- to give an orphan a dress or shirt that has been specially made just for them, is new, and is something they can keep for themselves
- to make that child feel cared for, special and loved
- to increase the child's sense of self worth - that they are worthy individuals
- to remind them every time they wear the dress or shirt that Jesus loves them and they are special in His sight
About our Specially Made Dresses and Shirts
These specially made dresses and shirts for kids 4 years old and older are provided FREE for orphanages to give to the girls and boys in their care. Each dress and shirt has a tag sewn on the sleeve reminding the child that Jesus Loves Me! They also receive a gift card with a message from Darlene. The outfits are given to
the children through organizations or individuals in the United States who deliver them to the children in their care both in and out of orphanages.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the barrenness of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences
Join our Newsletter
The Dresses for Orphans Newsletter is sent by email. It includes inspiring stories from some of the orphanages served, photos, prayer requests, special ministry reports and Darlene Carpenter's speaking schedule.
To recieve the newsletter, please provide your information in the 'Request our Newsletter' form.
Dresses for Orphans is a member of the Christian Alliance for Orphans.